There are many things involved before raising cat. What should you do? What should I prepare for? What to expect? Here is our own checklist. I hope these will help answer your questions.
Are you ready to be Pet Owner?
When you decide you want to get any sort of pet, you should consider some things to see if you are ready for a pet. Here is a list of common questions people have when deciding to get a pet.
- Emotions – Is you household stress free? Cats can pick up these emotions
- Household – Are you allowed pets in your household
- Income – Do you have steady income to provide for her.
- Other Pets –Do you all ready own a pet that is friendly
- People – Do your neighbors or roommate mind you having a cat
- Pet Sitter – Do you have someone to care for her when your on vacation or not at home for long hours
- Time – Do you have enough time to take care and play with your cat? Indoor cats have a lifespan of 9-20 years
Adoption Or Breeding
You have two choices when your looking for a cat adoption or going through a breeder. Cat adoption centers are usually located in every city, which is good for local cats for adoption. You can check out pet finder to see if it has what you need or you will need to search for your local cat adoption center. They have a lot of cats which are waiting for you to take home.
There are two types of adoption service animal shelter adoption and animal rescue adoption.
- Animal Shelter Adoption – Usually where most stray cats come to or when animal services is called to pick up a cat. When a cat is placed here they have a holding period, if it was just found off the streets. This gives a possible owner who may have lost their cat time to pick her up before getting put on the adoption list. These shelters are usually maintained by the local government.
- Animal Rescue Adoption – Privately funded run on donations. They are more involved and will possibly take a couple weeks to complete the whole adoption process, since they want to make sure the cat is in a proper home. These cats are usually being taken care of at someones house and not in one specific place like a shelter. The cats are usually in healthy condition and vaccinated and very well taken care of versus a shelter.
If you decide to go the breeder route, you will need to find a reputable breeder. (Be Careful There is A Lot Of Scammers Out There). Cost of going this path maybe very costly ranging from a few hundred to a few thousands. (Munchkin with short leg and flop ear are usually over $3000 USD).
Usually the first vaccination, Chipping, and such are covered, but any reputable breeder will let you know all the information you need.
Common Cat Adoption Process:
- Choosing a cat adoption service – Animal shelter adoption or animal rescue adoption
- Scheduling/Interview – Usually a phone call or e-mail requesting an adoption of specific cat
- Paperwork – Questionnaires to see if you are qualified to adopt a cat/kitten
- Meeting – Scheduling a meet up at the animal shelter adoption or animal rescue adoption site
- House Meetup – Some cat adoption agencies will require a home visit to see if the place is suitable for the cat to live at.
- Call – The home volunteer will give you a call and confirm if you are eligible for the final process or not
- Delivery – After the call if you are eligible than they will schedule either a delivery or pick up of your cat
- Fees – Final process to pay fees (Which maybe $15-$200 for 1 and older or $100-200 for 2-11 months)
Common Cat Breeding Process:
- Search – Looking for the right breeder
- Interview – To see if your qualify and fit to own a cat
- Choosing – Type of cat your looking for (Short leg, Long Leg, Flop Ears, Straight Ears etc.)
- Deposit – Pay a deposit (Usually Half the cost of the kitty)
- Wait list – Get in the back of the line.
- Update – Get e-mail updates on new born.
- Cat Traits – Wait a couple weeks to see if it has any conditions such as short leg or flop ears.
- Top list – They will e-mail the people on top of the list
- Decision – Make a decision
- After Decision – If pass wait till next breeding process. If you have decided to keep the cat than pay the rest due.
- Pay for Ticket – Flight for person and cat to bring to your city (Usually around $300-$400 in the states)
- Pick up/Take Home
What should you prepare your house for while waiting for the cat? What important essential items should you buy before the cat arrives to you? Here is a list of things you will need to prepare for your incoming cat. Each Item is linked to my highest recommendation and rated items.
Leave a comment if I forgot something you think should be on the list.
- Cat Carrier
- Scratching Post
- Litter Box
- ID Tag
- Grooming Supplies
- Cleaning Supplies
- Security & Surveillance
An item to carry your cat is needed in any household to keep it safe for transit to any place like the vet. It will help prevent the cat from doing naughty things like jumping out of a car window or even jumping on you when you are driving can cause an accident.
I would recommend a small one in the beginning you don’t want a carrier that is too big or too small. The role of thumb is one and half times the size of the cat/kitten. Too big size and make it uncomfortable for the cat, because it may slider around.
I recommend an easy to disassemble cat carrier like. The first one here and if you like a backpack style carrier than the second is best for your situation.
A Bowl to store food and water is needed to feed your new pet, so I would recommend two types of bowls pet cat. Avoid plastic if you can cats can bit and leave indentures on the plastic, which is susceptible to germs. Stainless steel and Ceramic are most recommended by Veterinarians.
Make sure to clean them daily and do not leave it out and uncleaned for more than 24 hours
Also, Recommended this cat mat to place underneath, so any water spill or food spill will be an easy clean up.
New Kitten should be fed special formulated food till about 1 years of age. They require more proteins, vitamins, and fatty acids compared to a grown up cat.
Cats need a scratching post to sharpen their claws and remove outer layer on their nails, but mostly to keep them from scratching up your furniture. I would definitely get one and placed next to any furniture you don’t want your cat to destroy.
A place to sleep is always needed for everyone even cats. A small cozy bed is what your looking for when looking for a bed for your cat. We recommend the precision cat very comfortable and cozy.
Play time cats needs toys to entertain their daily needs we have a full section on explaining the different types of toys here . We recommend an assorted pack of toys or this monthly cat subscription to see what your cat likes in the beginning.
A special place for your cat to poop and pee is required to keep your home from smelling awful. A simple pan and some good cat litter would do the trick, but I prefer A nice hooded litter box. Unless you have extra money to get the best automatic litter box “Litter Robot” !! (Note do not flush any cat litter down the toilet it will expand and clog your tubes.)
There is always a possibility that your cat may run away from home or get lost, so a tag is needed so who ever finds your cat will know how to contact you. Although pendents are nice looking they may break and fall off, so the tag would end up being useless. We recommend something more secure and easy to recognize.
Cats lick and groom themselves on a daily basis, but when they have too much fur it could end up in their stomach, which is where we got the term hairball from. A good brush is needed and clippers if you don’t want your cats to scratch you every day.
Items like toothbrush, wipes, shampoo, stain remover fall under this category. These are things that are needed to keep your home clean and odor free.
Security & Surveillance
When your away from home and would like to know what your cat/kitten is doing than I highly recommend a pet cam. It is just like a baby cam where it was record your cat and show on your mobile phone live.
It also has a function so you can turn on a laser pointer remotely and watch it jump and play around. Also very handy to keep watch of your cat from doing naughty things.
Last but not least catnip ! Every single household should own some sort of catnip. It is a cats favorite type of plant. Sprinkle this on any toy or surface area and watch your kitten get super excited!